From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: moving USE=server to global
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:10:28
1 >> if you're going to change the topic mid-thread, then you should update
2 >> the subject
3 >>
4 Ah apologies for that; I just wanted to get the technical objection.
5
6 >> you already know the state of the server/client debate ... moving it to
7 >> global doesnt fix any of the short comings, so it should stay local (and
8 >> removed where possible)
9 >>
10 Well, I'm aware of the debate; I still haven't heard a convincing
11 *technical* argument against (and i have searched this list.) Your position
12 is fairly clear; can you enlighten usrs as to why you take that stance? I
13 must be missing something..
14
15 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-525893.html if you feel this is
16 cluttering the dev list with a usr prob.
17
18 > Yeah -- "server" is way too generic. I've forgotten where else I use it,
19 > but when I build "vnc" I use it to get a VNC server. Maybe make a local
20 > "vnc-server" USE flag for that one.
21 >
22 I don't see what is so dangerous about a server flag. After all I don't set
23 doc globally, but it is a useful global flag, with clear intent, as would
24 be server.
25
26 If usr sets server on a box in make.conf, against advice, they still have to
27 actually emerge the pkgs they want, after all. So it's not like it's going
28 to lead to a mass of bloat (unlike the current setup.)
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list