From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:39:30
1 On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 03:26:03 -0700 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 | Anyone who thinks Gentoo isn't progressing simply isn't seeing the
3 | forest for all the trees, as they say. Another way of putting it is
4 | that Gentoo seems to be in that critical period after the honeymoon,
5 | it has hit its middle-aged crisis. Reality has set in -- we're not
6 | going to magically move mountains, as yes, a mountain /can/ be moved,
7 | see the history of the Panama canal for instance, but it takes a
8 | *LOT* of work, a LOT of investment, and sometimes even some deaths
9 | along the way. During that time, progress may seem painfully slow,
10 | yet it never-the-less occurs. What's the alternative, dumping the
11 | project and leaving it for dead? Then all that work and investment,
12 | and all those deaths, /will/ be in vain.
13
14 What makes you think we're not moving mountains? Getting 1.4 out of the
15 door was considered an amazing feat. Now we're doing the same thing
16 every six months, and it's largely going unnoticed. Is something only
17 an impressive accomplishment if it goes wrong and generates lots of
18 mess first?
21 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (King of all Londinium)
22 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm