From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:29:23
1 Brian Harring posted <20060105064956.GC14338@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:49:56 -0800:
3
4 > Note I said 'intentional'; seems like people have been pushing for
5 > gentoo as a whole to slow down (note the enterprise
6 > concerns/complaints that hit the ml every 6 months for example).
7 >
8 > Dunno. Maybe it's all a ramble, maybe you think I'm a loon, but final
9 > point I'm going to make is that pushing for a global solution (whether
10 > a BDFL or board or committee) totally is missing the actual issue-
11 > that individuals get things done, the larger the # of folks involved
12 > in progressing towards something the slower they're going to move.
13
14 This man speaks my mind. That's one of the things I'm worried about with
15 the Enterprise Gentoo thing, and why I think it will make a better
16 separate project than part of Gentoo itself.
17
18 Anyone who thinks Gentoo isn't progressing simply isn't seeing the forest
19 for all the trees, as they say. Another way of putting it is that Gentoo
20 seems to be in that critical period after the honeymoon, it has hit its
21 middle-aged crisis. Reality has set in -- we're not going to magically
22 move mountains, as yes, a mountain /can/ be moved, see the history of the
23 Panama canal for instance, but it takes a *LOT* of work, a LOT of
24 investment, and sometimes even some deaths along the way. During that
25 time, progress may seem painfully slow, yet it never-the-less occurs.
26 What's the alternative, dumping the project and leaving it for dead? Then
27 all that work and investment, and all those deaths, /will/ be in vain.
28
29 OTOH, after a certain point, which Gentoo seems to have reached, throwing
30 more bureaucracy at a project, as seems to be part of the proposal here,
31 does more harm than good. I'm with Brian, here. If we want progress, we
32 gotta slack off on the regulation a bit and give the folks actually down
33 there getting their hands dirty some room to work, at least if we aren't
34 willing (or able) to get in there with them.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
40 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list