From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:20:28
1 On Thursday 05 January 2006 11:26, Duncan wrote:
2 > This man speaks my mind. That's one of the things I'm worried about with
3 > the Enterprise Gentoo thing, and why I think it will make a better
4 > separate project than part of Gentoo itself.
5
6 I agree mostly, too. Just that QA has more aspects than "cool nifty package x
7 that has bleeding edge dep y, with dep y sitting due to QA concerns", to
8 quote Brian. A QA team can work concurrently to other subprojects of Gentoo,
9 spot testing ebuild quality, checking e.g. for correct dependencies and
10 licenses (I stumpled about four false ones the last few months) and a lot of
11 other things without slowing development down. It's a pity, that we don't
12 have an proactive QA team.
13
14 The complaints about Gentoo having no direction, sound (at least in my ears)
15 more like "Gentoo is not heading in the direction I want to have it." - so,
16 attract developers who work with you on your goals (We don't have enough devs
17 anyways, ~10% unmaintained packages in the tree speak for themselves) within
18 Gentoo. I for one can't say we haven't seen a lot of improvements in
19 different subprojects, just that it takes time.
22 > see the history of the Panama canal for instance, but it takes a *LOT* of
23 work
24
25 Odd comparison, having in mind how much lives it did cost.
28 Carsten