From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 06:54:09
1 On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 10:05:52PM -0800, Corey Shields wrote:
2 > Where is the centralized vision that everyone is working together here that
3 > people not directly related to each project will buy in to and therefore do
4 > what they can to see it succeed?
5
6 We've had centralized visions for a long while. Recall use/slot deps?
7
8 See them available anywhere?
9
10 Vision ofr an installer? Yes, underway now, but the centralized vision
11 really didn't do jack for actually acquring folk to work on it, did
12 it (feel free to chime in agaffney since it's effectively yours now a
13 days).
16 > Where is the collaboration between groups
17 > to make it happen?
18
19 How many projects actually require collaboration amongst multiple
20 groups to pull it off? Yes, if it's infra related we're stuck waiting
21 on you guys to move, but where else is the intricate dependencies
22 between groups y'all seem to be seeing?
23
24 Don't get me wrong, there *are* dependencies between groups (everyone
25 reliant on toolchain fex). What I'm getting at is that the angle of
26 blaming communication for lack of progress is daft- the issue isn't
27 lack of communication, it's lack of _actual_ work being done.
30 > Portage team is running in one direction,
31 > webapps another, GLI a third direction (while kicking anyone who wishes to
32 > run with them in the nuts).
33
34 Examples would be lovely.
37 > In any structured environment I have worked in,
38 > you have a heirarchy where everyone, down to the grunts, know where they are
39 > heading as an organization, why they are heading that way, and what they can
40 > do to help. Even though groups work on differing things, they know how those
41 > things are directly affecting the end goal (mission statement, whatever)
42 >
43 > Right now, Gentoo has it's cliques that come up with their own things, and to
44 > get assistance from another clique you're gonna have to have some ties or
45 > work real hard to sell your idea to them. It's too flat of a model to work
46 > for any real innovation, else, as Kurt pointed out, we would have seen some
47 > cool stuff in the past couple of years.
48 >
49 > > If this Gentoo project fails/falters (like you seem to think it is
50 > > heading) you are free to do the same, form your own project with it's
51 > > own set of rules and leader if you so choose.
52 >
53 > Gentoo won't fail.. I don't believe that is what Kurt or Lance are saying. I
54 > think the point was that Gentoo is not moving at the typical pace of OSS
55 > development, and we believe that it is the organizational structure that is
56 > holding it back.
57
58 Actually, here's where I'm going to get lynched- (both for bringing up
59 anon* after pissing y'all off by asking about it less then 24 hours
60 previously, and stepping on other toes).
61
62 Typical foss project is optimized for one thing, and one thing alone-
63 maximal usage of available resources. It has to be *easy* for folks
64 to contribute whatever time they have- this means eliminating as much
65 menial/manual work as possible.
66
67 Immediate access to most current source so they can raid it and patch
68 it, rather then splitting against an old version, then the maintainer
69 forward porting the patch to head fex is a huge issue. It wastes both
70 the maintainer's time and the random patch submitters time having to
71 juggle between revisions.
72
73 Further, foss has something of a rapid release cycle. We're actively
74 trying to move in the opposite direction if you consider the actual
75 implication of trying to widen the unstable keywording gap- I'm not
76 stating QA is bad, what I'm stating is that QA explicitly requires
77 delays built in (whether via multiple reviews by devs, or letting the
78 changes sit for a while).
79
80 End result of it is that it takes longer to get stuff out, with the
81 result waterfalling across the tree- cool nifty package x that has
82 bleeding edge dep y, with dep y sitting due to QA concerns for
83 example.
84
85 I've not yet actually touched on communication/sync'ing up between
86 volunteers either- that's further delays. For example, you've got
87 crazy/nifty feature X that must be glep'd. You've got realistically a
88 wait of a month before it's worth starting the actual work for it.
89
90 Yes, a month. Reason being that glep can be ixnayed, thus those with
91 half a brain aren't going to do work that could be shot down, they're
92 likely going to wait till the proposal is accepted *then* start the
93 work.
94
95 Probably pissing a selection of people off here (pardon, deal), but
96 the point is that this notion that introducing more communication/sync
97 up points isn't going to accomplish anything. Yes, it's required, but
98 foss is not your typical business work place (thank god).
99
100 Why has gentoo gotten slower as it's gotten larger? Because the lone
101 wolf developer has less bullshit to deal with, they can just hammer
102 towards their goal. Introduce more folk into it, waste more of their
103 time syncing up with each other, more time of those who see their
104 goal, know how to get their, having to run it past everyone who wants
105 to be know what's afoot.
106
107 Essentially, the more required sync up/communication built into how
108 things are done, the more bound you are to the slowest folk. Can only
109 run go as fast as your slowest member effectively.
112 > > Partially I ( as currently still a user at this point ) would like to
113 > > see a bit more project management. I see that webapps posted a monthly
114 > > meeting reminder to -dev, but how many projects really have meetings
115 > > that often? Do they accomplish anything? Should we have someone that
116 > > tries to attend most meetings to make sure things are going smoothly, or
117 > > going at all? Do we need to have slacking projects that get killed off
118 > > by the council as well as "slacker" council members?
119 >
120 > Thanks for your comments.. As for management, anyone who reads "Five
121 > Dysfunctions of a Team" by Patrick Lencioni[1] will see all of the problems
122 > that Gentoo has, as well as the potential Gentoo has if it worked well.
123
124 Not trying to stick it to you, but I think what you're pointing at as
125 good is fundamentally the issue here- more process tagged into gentoo
126 isn't going to help anything, just push us further towards
127 debianization (something that's bugged me for the last 18 months I
128 might add).
129
130 What I've seen with gentoo is bluntly, wasted resources (bit
131 intentional in some cases). We've been progressing more towards
132 keeping everyone in the loop rather then letting folks spring on ahead
133 and get things done (sometimes with a bit of a mess in the process).
134
135 Note I said 'intentional'; seems like people have been pushing for
136 gentoo as a whole to slow down (note the enterprise
137 concerns/complaints that hit the ml every 6 months for example).
138
139 Dunno. Maybe it's all a ramble, maybe you think I'm a loon, but final
140 point I'm going to make is that pushing for a global solution (whether
141 a BDFL or board or committee) totally is missing the actual issue-
142 that individuals get things done, the larger the # of folks involved
143 in progressing towards something the slower they're going to move.
144
145 Adding artifical sync ups/communications is a step towards slowing
146 things down further, not speeding things up.
147
148 Central vision, mission statements, etc, that crap, doesn't
149 actually accomplish anything; if someone is working towards something,
150 someone is working towards it. Extra beuracray/cruft doesn't
151 translate to code however, nor does it really enable faster production
152 of code.
153
154 ~harring