From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ${PORTDIR}/profiles/package.use
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:55:43
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Put another way... It is said over and over again that USE flags cover
3 > OPTIONAL functionality. Few would consider video/audio/joystick support
4 > in a library with a primary use of supporting games as optional. Rather,
5 > the "option" would be to /not/ have support compiled in, and that's
6 > /exactly/ what the no* USE flags express in this case, just as it's
7 > /exactly/ what the nocxx USE flag expresses. Doing it any other way is,
8 > as stated, counterintuitive to the way portage normally works, and the
9 > defined use of USE flags.
12 We already have use flags turned on in the base profiles. IMHO we should
13 only have one way of doing this. Either everything should follow the no*
14 convention so we should move to using for example nopython and remove
15 all use flags from make.defaults or implement the requested feature of
16 making use flags on by default. Considering that different profiles
17 probably want different settings the no convention would be restrictive
18 on what we want to do.
19
20 Regards,
21 Petteri