From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ${PORTDIR}/profiles/package.use
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:41:53
1 Dave Nebinger posted <36596.127.0.0.1.1129861153.squirrel@cornholio>,
2 excerpted below, on Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:19:13 -0400:
3
4 >>> > i still dont see how this addresses the nocxx / USE=-*
5 >>>
6 >>> noFOO is used because "FOO" is on by default, and noFOO turns it off.
7 >>> AutoUSE is the same way, package bar is included in the buildplan and to
8 >>> have sane defaults, certain flags are turned on.
9 >>
10 >> that was a great explanation however irrelevant it may have been
11 >>
12 >> i guess we will have to make 'nocxx' a special case as we strip all other
13 >> 'no*' USE flags from portage
14 >
15 > Sorry, guys, but isn't that what "-FOO" is supposed to be for? If we
16 > already have support for "-FOO", why then do we need a "noFOO" also?
17 >
18 > Or is there some distinction I'm missing here?
19
20 Also consider the case of media-libs/libsdl. It uses novideo, noaudio,
21 and nojoystick, for the simple reason that for the vast majority of folks
22 who'd have reason to merge the package, turning OFF that functionality
23 makes entirely NO sense and having it OFF by default, if the USE flags
24 weren't enabled for some reason, would be entirely unintuitive.
25
26 Put another way... It is said over and over again that USE flags cover
27 OPTIONAL functionality. Few would consider video/audio/joystick support
28 in a library with a primary use of supporting games as optional. Rather,
29 the "option" would be to /not/ have support compiled in, and that's
30 /exactly/ what the no* USE flags express in this case, just as it's
31 /exactly/ what the nocxx USE flag expresses. Doing it any other way is,
32 as stated, counterintuitive to the way portage normally works, and the
33 defined use of USE flags.
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
39 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list