From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking >=media-video/ffmpeg-4.0
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 15:32:15
1 On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 09:57:36 -0500
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 2018-11-06 11:21 a.m., Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 11:09:17 -0500
6 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Alexis Ballier
9 > >> <aballier@g.o> wrote:
10 > >>>
11 > >>> On Tue, 06 Nov 2018 17:08:22 +0200
12 > >>> Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
13 > >>>
14 > >>>> It is not GStreamer fault that ffmpeg breaks API and ABI without
15 > >>>> parallel installability, much less so the distro maintainers of
16 > >>>> it. If you/upstream don't make it parallel installable, then this
17 > >>>> is what you get.
18 > >>>
19 > >>> Are you, seriously, suggesting this is the solution to all
20 > >>> problems here ?
21 > >>>
22 > >>
23 > >> It isn't the only solution, but it is one sane upgrade path. You
24 > >> can't expect everybody to update their software overnight when the
25 > >> API changes. That means you have to support the old API for a
26 > >> while when you introduce a new one, otherwise you end up with some
27 > >> software that doesn't work with the old version, and some software
28 > >> that doesn't work with the new version.
31 > > These days, only symbols/constants that have been deprecated (and
32 > > marked as such) for a couple of releases are removed. This means
33 > > people see warnings for more than one year before seeing them gone
34 > > for good. The problem here is not "overnight changes" but rather
35 > > consumers not paying attention to those warnings, or worse, nobody
36 > > ever seeing those because it's unmaintained.
39 > But we aren't upstream most of the time, and if upstreams are pegging
40 > their ffmpeg to a single version they don't bother to try the newer
41 > one to find out the errors. Take Kodi, v17.x is pegged to no newer
42 > than ffmpeg-3.3.x as I recall, and has been blocking even v3.4's
43 > installation for the year'ish it's been in the gentoo repo.
44 >
45 > So this "people see warnings" thing, it really doesn't apply, unless
46 > you (A) have the desire and resources to build and maintain a patch
47 > for upstream, and (B) have an upstream with the desire and resources
48 > to support more than the one version of ffmpeg for a given release
49 > set. Both, IMO, are in very short supply.
53 Believe me, it's far easier to do this than maintaining several slotted
54 versions. See the amount of work done for e.g. gtk, qt, wxwidgets, etc.
55 and I'm not even counting backporting security fixes nor patching tens
56 of packages to "use the proper slot".
57
58 Note that the (B) desire is usually mostly killed by people claiming
59 multiple versions should be supported without any idea of the
60 implications this has. Fortunately, there's only very few upstreams
61 left that consider ffmpeg so special that they want to bundle or force
62 an old buggy and vulnerable version.