From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Keyword amd64 -> x86_64
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:28:13
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> Bernd Steinhauser wrote:
4 >> | Wouldn't it be more clean if it is amd64 just like the Linux one?
5 >> | Because the arch basically is the same. I think that
6 >> | amd64(-linux) -- x86_64-fbsd
7 >> | x86(-linux) -- x86-fbsd
8 >> |
9 >> | would be more confusing than
10 >> | amd64(-linux) -- amd64-fbsd
11 >> | x86(-linux) -- x86-fbsd
12 >>
13 >> I agree, and vote for consistency as well.
14 >
15 > Yes, but as mentioned before, my problem is that amd64-macos really
16 > doesn't make any sense to me.
17 >
18 I accept that it seems odd, but EM64T is a clone of amd64 in the same way
19 that amd32 is a clone of x86. If we're consistent across the board, it
20 leads to less confusion, once a user knows they're on amd64 (I'm thinking
21 of support questions more than anything.) Whatever you decide to call it
22 for macos/prefix, I'd vote against x86_64-fbsd and for amd64-fbsd, since
23 renaming amd64 is not going to happen afaict.
27 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list