From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Re: where goes Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:24:06
1 On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 09:04 -0400, Eric Brown wrote:
2 >
3 > Interesting thread. I have used Gentoo in enterprise situations very
4 > successfully, and I think the whole QA/live-tree argument is moot. In
5 > an enterprise environment, you might have a backup/testing machine to
6 > run your updates on first before they went live. You also wouldn't run
7 > new packages unless they passed your own QA tests first.
8 >
9 > Given the incredible flexibility of portage to support local mirrors,
10 > binary package preparation, and localized versions of packages
11 > (portdir_overlay), I would say that Gentoo is quite a contender in the
12 > enterprise environment.
13 >
14 > Perhaps we need some enterprise documentation to help people realize the
15 > full potential of portage?
16
17 I think you've missed some of the idea of "enterprise" support. See,
18 for starters, every person shouldn't have to create their own
19 implementation of everything. Perhaps a better solution would be a
20 package that when installed, builds up a local mirror, a binary package
21 repository (with revision control), an automated update system, a system
22 for updating rolled out machines without forcing the use of etc-update
23 on each machine, a slower moving stable tree capable of being certified
24 with applications, and most likely a phone number of someone to call
25 when the shit hits the fan.
26
27 While I will completely agree that Gentoo *can* be used in the
28 enterprise successfully, that does not make it "enterprise-ready", in
29 any sense. Many people also seem to misunderstand the concept of
30 "enterprise" when we are referring to it in this manner. We don't mean
31 "I'm running it on 10 servers in production" or anything like that. We
32 mean "I'm running this as our production platform for Linux services
33 across our entire enterprise, that could be hundreds or even thousands
34 of servers" instead. While it might be possible to maintain a handful
35 of Gentoo servers, it is next to impossible to maintain an army of them,
36 without spending significant up-front manpower to design, test, and
37 implement your own set of management tools. Gentoo has no real
38 management tools. There are a few here and there that do specific
39 tasks, but there isn't anything designed to really take control over
40 your network of systems. To be fair, Red Hat doesn't have anything like
41 this, either. Their "Satellite Server" product is good for initial
42 builds and for updates, but falls short on the management aspects.
43 Novell's offerings are probably the best examples of what we really
44 need. Of course, most people would be happy with even rudimentary
45 management capabilities, as currently, we have none. We don't have any
46 form of update server. You have to build one yourself. We don't have
47 any form of "jump-start" or "kickstart" for rapid automated deployments.
48 You have to build one yourself. Now, we do have the Gentoo Linux
49 Installer project, which has this as one of its goals, so we will have
50 this component at some point in the future.
51
52 Last, there's the "Our servers just went belly up, and I want to call up
53 someone on the phone and give them a piece of my mind" issue which gives
54 managers a warm, fuzzy feeling, that we cannot provide. If something
55 goes wrong with RHEL or SLES, you call up Red Hat or Novell and get them
56 to work on the problem. If something goes wrong with Gentoo, you hop on
57 IRC, or file a bug, and hope that somebody can help you in the time you
58 need it done in, and not in 3 weeks when the maintaining developer gets
59 back from his tour of the African Dung Beetle in it's own environment.
60 Liability is a big selling point for the enterprise.
61
62 I work for a telecommunications company, and we run Linux and Solaris.
63 For our Linux, we run Red Hat, even though they have, on staff, one of
64 the people that understands Gentoo's deployment capabilities better than
65 most, via catalyst and the GLI. Why do we run Red Hat? When something
66 breaks with one of their packages, we call them, and expect them to fix
67 it. It is also a name that gives upper management the warm fuzzies.
68 Gentoo has neither the brand recognition, nor the support capabilities
69 to be a good sale to management.
70
71 I'm not denying that Gentoo is very powerful, flexible, and gives the
72 power back to the administrator, but that doesn't make it enterprise
73 ready or friendly. A few success stories from a few people isn't much
74 to support the position, when we are lacking in so many simple and
75 obvious ways. Remember, if a manager can think of multiple ways to
76 knock down the use of Gentoo, like the ones I've given above, what are
77 you going to do to refute his claims?
78
79 I want to see Gentoo as an enterprise-capable distribution myself, but I
80 also understand that it is a long, hard road ahead of us, and there will
81 still be some things we simply cannot provide as a community
82 distribution, which was my reasoning behind the "fork". There would
83 need to be an entity that is responsible, liable, if you will, when
84 something goes wrong, and that has the manpower and resources to fix it.
87 Chris Gianelloni
89 Games - Developer
90 Gentoo Linux