From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: where goes Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 18:45:33
1 050804 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 -- long interesting account of life in the enterprise snipped --
3 > I want to see Gentoo as an enterprise-capable distribution myself,
4 > but I also understand that it is a long, hard road ahead of us
5 > and there will still be things we cannot provide as a community distro.
6 > There would need to be an entity responsible when something goes wrong
7 > and that has the manpower and resources to fix it.
8
9 There's no way a volunteer organisation like Gentoo could undertake that.
10 What would be essential is a company with capital invested
11 & probably an insurance policy somewhere in the background,
12 which employs Gentoo-knowledgeable staff to build & fix systems.
13 It would probably have its own mirror with a selection of Gentoo packages,
14 which it is prepared to guarantee as reliable & safe to use,
15 & would develop all the enterprise-level management tools you describe.
16 Hopefully, it would give something back to the underlying volunteer Gentoo
17 by way of free staff time & some tools all of us might benefit from.
18
19 The first step is a visit to your friendly neighbourhood bank manager (smile).
23 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
24 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
25 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list