From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Completed livecd-stage2 build
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:18:36
1 Most likely the previous livecd was compressed, and the one
2 you have there is not compressed. You need to find out what
3 compression method works for you, it supports 3 different
4 ones (which you can specify in the cdfs part of your spec
5 files).
6
7 squashfs which requires a kernel patch from squashfs.sf.net
8 gcloop which requires a kernel patch from
9 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/gcloop
10 and
11 zisofs which should be supported natively in your kernel as long as
12 you enable Transparent decompression under your ISO9660 filesystem support
13 in your kernel. It will also require that you pass -z to mkisofs.
14
15 All these require userland tools as well to create the images, in your
16 host system. squashfs-tools, gcloop, and zisofs-tools respectively.
17
18 -Brad
19
20 > I finally got the build to work.
21 >
22 > After applying the fix I mentioned in my last message, I discovered that
23 > catalyst emerges genkernel every time stage2 is run into its chrooted
24 > environment. This meant that, to get it to work, I had to start the
25 > livecd-stage2 build, wait till it had emerged genkernel, then copy the
26 > fixed
27 > busybox tarball into the build directory before genkernel started to build
28 > it. This is a major kludge, but fortunately is only necessary until
29 > genkernel includes a fix for the busybox build problem.
30 >
31 > I'm copying the .iso to my workstation, and will try it once that's done
32 > and
33 > I can burn a CD.
34 >
35 > One other thing I've noticed: The .iso is 119 MB. This seems comparatively
36 > large, as the 1.4-test1 Alpha LiveCD is 39 MB. I probably need to tell it
38 > remove more stuff. Suggestions are welcome.
39 >
40 > --
41 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list