From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 20:58:40
1 On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 12:40:42PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > a) we are moving to GIT which doesn't cope with $Header: $ stuff
3 Please drop this notion.
4
5 My work on the Git mailing lists has strictly been:
6 - IFF Gentoo WANTED to switched to Git, how would Git have to change.
7 This was my posting to the Git mailing list:
8 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/44298/focus=44473
9 Summarizing from that list:
10 #1 History slicing - In Git already, some minor bugs I identified
11 #2 Subtree slicing - External patchset to Git, WIP
12 #3 ACL support - Patch was posted to the Git ML yesterday, needs some
13 Gentoo-specific polishing.
14 #4 Keywords - see the massive threads on the Git ML that were spawned
15
16 These also intersect with my own needs for Git for work projects, so I
17 can justify some of my work time for doing some Git development.
18
19 That said, from a VCS management point of view, and understanding the
20 results of Antarus's GSoC2006 work [1], SVN wasn't really suitable on
21 the server or client side (massive disk hog compared to CVS amongst
22 other things). The best option on the management side of things, is
23 still to stick with CVS at the moment.
24
25 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/cvs-migration.xml but
26 beware that the results themselves are from August 2006, and have
27 changed radically for Git - SVN may have changed radically as well, I
28 don't follow SVN enough to know.
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member
33 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85