From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 15:54:18
1 Peter Faraday Weller wrote:
2 > On a more serious note, the problem seems to be the complete lack of
3 > management in the required places, Gentoo is fast becoming (or more
4 > likely, already is) an anarchic organisation, where it's becoming
5 > nigh-on impossible to keep track of things.
6 >
7 > I see a number of issues with Gentoo these days. The lack of a proper
8 > leadership body. Lack of people working together in unison. The tree
9 > needs to be sorted out: we have >16000 packages, and 200-250 developers,
10 > not all of which are ebuild developers) - We're still using CVS, we do
11 > *not* have the manpower to keep all the packages updated properly using
12 > a centralised VCS. If these issues were fixed, I don't know/care how
13 > they do get fixed, but if they were, I might consider coming back.
14
15 Hi,
16
17 am I the only one to see a contradiction here? You criticise a
18 centralised VCS and anarchism/lack of unison work at the same time.
19 Wouldn't that be even worse with a distributed VCS then? :)
20 I think it would. Also too much use of overlays seems bad to me (yeah
21 the Java team is very guilty here :) and the idea of splitting tree to
22 overlays (which pops up from time to time) is just nonsense IMHO.
23
24 It seems that some people think distributed VCS (git) is a silver bullet
25 that will fix everything? Or pushing more and more EAPI's will?
26 I'm quite sure it won't fix the lack of focus. Which I somewhat feel
27 too, but that may be just from the fact that I currently lack time (not
28 motivation though, that seems almost inversely proportional :) ) for Gentoo.
29
30 If more people agree on the lack of focus, then we should do something
31 about it, instead of hoping that using better tools fixes it themselves.
32
33 Vlastimil