From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 16:36:39
1 On Monday 04 May 2009 18:54:09 Vlastimil Babka wrote:
2 > Peter Faraday Weller wrote:
3 > > On a more serious note, the problem seems to be the complete lack of
4 > > management in the required places, Gentoo is fast becoming (or more
5 > > likely, already is) an anarchic organisation, where it's becoming
6 > > nigh-on impossible to keep track of things.
7 > >
8 > > I see a number of issues with Gentoo these days. The lack of a proper
9 > > leadership body. Lack of people working together in unison. The tree
10 > > needs to be sorted out: we have >16000 packages, and 200-250 developers,
11 > > not all of which are ebuild developers) - We're still using CVS, we do
12 > > *not* have the manpower to keep all the packages updated properly using
13 > > a centralised VCS. If these issues were fixed, I don't know/care how
14 > > they do get fixed, but if they were, I might consider coming back.
15 >
16 > Hi,
17 >
18 > am I the only one to see a contradiction here? You criticise a
19 > centralised VCS and anarchism/lack of unison work at the same time.
20 > Wouldn't that be even worse with a distributed VCS then? :)
21 I dont think so. Centralized or distributed VCS does not have to do anything
22 about the hierarchical structure of Gentoo.
23 > I think it would. Also too much use of overlays seems bad to me
24 Depends of course on how each team/dev uses the overlay. Some of us use the
25 overlays as testing places which is much better than pushing ebuilds directly
26 to tree without extensive testing :)
27 > (yeah
28 > the Java team is very guilty here :) and the idea of splitting tree to
29 > overlays (which pops up from time to time) is just nonsense IMHO.
30 +1
31 >
32 > It seems that some people think distributed VCS (git) is a silver bullet
33 > that will fix everything?
34 Certainly it will help development a lot. Take a look on git overlays ( qting-
35 edge,kde-testing etc ). The commit and bugfix rates are incredible because the
36 VCS is amazingly fast. Using cvs, you need at least 2' for a simple commit of
37 a single ebuild. Using git you can push 300 ebuilds at the same time. Imaging
38 the difference... Git is an extra motivation ( at least for me :/ )
39 > Or pushing more and more EAPI's will?
40 No... As I said before Gentoo is quite understaffed. First we need people. Then
41 we can concentrate on features :)
42 > If more people agree on the lack of focus, then we should do something
43 > about it, instead of hoping that using better tools fixes it themselves.
44 Any ideas?
45 --
46 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
47 Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sunrise/Sound]
48 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org