From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gnupg-2 stable plans
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 05:10:58
1 On 12/12/07, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 15:49 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
4 > >
5 > > gnupg-2 is drop-in replacement of gnupg-1, so eventually no slotting
6 > > should be used.
7 >
8 > Drop in according to YOU, which I have taken issue with since 1/1/07.
9 > Per last upstream release, and every one since 2.x was release, just as
10 > I have quoted and stated many times before.
11 >
12 > http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-announce/2007q3/000259.html
13 >
14 > "GnuPG-2 has a different architecture than GnuPG-1 (e.g. 1.4.6) in that
15 > it splits up functionality into several modules. However, both
16 > versions may be installed alongside without any conflict. In fact,
17 > the gpg version from GnuPG-1 is able to make use of the gpg-agent as
18 > included in GnuPG-2 and allows for seamless passphrase caching. The
19 > advantage of GnuPG-1 is its smaller size and the lack of dependency on
20 > other modules at run and build time. We will keep maintaining GnuPG-1
21 > versions because they are very useful for small systems and for server
22 > based applications requiring only OpenPGP support."
23
24 As I told you before, I wont slot these two.
25
26 Best Regards,
27 Alon Bar-Lev.
28 --