From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [rfc] Rendering the official Gentoo logo / Blender 2.04, Python 2.2
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 02:31:54
1 On 05/01/2011 08:06 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Isn't it possible to create a better SVG then?
3
4 It may be. Of the three variants trying to match the Blender version
5 that I have seen so far, none is a replacement of equal quality on the
6 bling scale to my impression. They feel like tradeoffs, not like the
7 real thing. Maybe they try to come too close to the ray-traced
8 rendering, but I'm not sure if I really want to propose a different
9 direction either.
12 > I think such a variant
13 > would be much more portable and reproducible than blender files.
14
15 What I dislike about the idea of moving to a new logo is that we would
16 give up part of our culture just because we were unable to move it from
17 past to present to future. Imagine this dialog:
18
19 A: "Hey guys, I noticed you have a new logo?"
20 B: "Yeah, blender rendering changed - so we dropped it."
21
22 I don't really want to be B in that dialog. I see the pragmatic aspect
23 of moving to SVG but it also has the taste of giving up to me. To
24 vercome that taste, a very strong replacement would be needed.
25
26 If we replace the Blender "g" we may also need a substitute for the
27 red-white Blender "gentoo" as seen at
28 http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/*docroot*/images/gentoo-new.gif
29 if just for the sake of consistency.
30
31 I am wondering what effect the Blender nature of a logo does have on the
32 capability and will of people to create fan art based on it compared to
33 an SVG version. It seems like there is only a handful of 3D Gentoo
34 wallpapers but does that mean it would have been more with an SVG
35 version, instead? On what levels could SVG work as a catalyst?
36
37 If we ported the logo to Blender 2.57 now: what can we do to not be
38 running after Blender rendering changes for all time or to reduce their
39 impact on us? Is this a natural cost or an evil one?
40
41 Just my 2 cents.
42
43 Best,