From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: sping@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [rfc] Rendering the official Gentoo logo / Blender 2.04, Python 2.2
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 05:48:51
1 On Thu, 05 May 2011 04:31:10 +0200
2 Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > I think such a variant
5 > > would be much more portable and reproducible than blender files.
6 >
7 > What I dislike about the idea of moving to a new logo is that we would
8 > give up part of our culture just because we were unable to move it
9 > from past to present to future. Imagine this dialog:
10 >
11 > A: "Hey guys, I noticed you have a new logo?"
12 > B: "Yeah, blender rendering changed - so we dropped it."
13
14 Well, the concept is to have the same logo but in new format. Of
15 course, that would require some of professional work to ensure
16 best-match rendering if even possible.
17
18 And I don't think it's really giving up. It's just moving
19 to the future, putting back good, ol' things in the museum. However,
20 it'd be still best to fix it.
21
22 > If we replace the Blender "g" we may also need a substitute for the
23 > red-white Blender "gentoo" as seen at
24 > http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/*docroot*/images/gentoo-new.gif
25 > if just for the sake of consistency.
26
27 True.
28
29 > I am wondering what effect the Blender nature of a logo does have on
30 > the capability and will of people to create fan art based on it
31 > compared to an SVG version. It seems like there is only a handful of
32 > 3D Gentoo wallpapers but does that mean it would have been more with
33 > an SVG version, instead? On what levels could SVG work as a catalyst?
34
35 As I see the concept of a logo, it is bound to a pretty strict
36 rendering. It's fun to have it in 3D but I'm not sure if, say, rotating
37 it or changing lighting would still make it the same logo.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny