From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making ebuilds with interactive options (bug #34243)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:29:24
1 On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 19:00, Andrea Barisani wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > making interactive ebuild is always considered bad because it breaks 'emerge
5 > -u world'. However when building samhain ebuild (you can find it at
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/~lcars/ebuilds/) I have find necessary to include
7 > interactive options, that's because this integrity checkers needs a number of
8 > parameters that must be configured at compile time for preventing tampering.
9 >
10 > These parameters includes: server IP address, binary name, a XOR value, PGP
11 > key fingerprint and so on. The parameters are needed if some IUSE flags of
12 > the ebuild are on, without those flags the package perform a default
13 > installation without interactive questions.
14 >
15 > The question is, since interactive is a bad thing how would you treat this
16 > kind of apps? What we should do with my ebuild? I really think that all these
17 > features should be implemented, after all we use Gentoo because we can
18 > install apps the way we like right? :) It would be a shame not allow users to
19 > use all samhain features.
20 >
21 > I was thinking about a way to storing the parameters on the first emerge and
22 > then using them automatically when updating, anyone has an elegant way in
23 > mind for doing that?
24
25 I would create an /etc/conf.d/samhain file and store the configuration
26 in variables there.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Developer, Gentoo Linux
31 Games Team