From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:20:21
1 On 22 August 2013 11:01, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 22 August 2013 01:19, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> Is there an alternative? afaik a profile can be either stable,dev or
6 >>>> exp. I can't see how we can implement something between
7 >>>> stable and dev. And what would that represent? It may or may not be
8 >>>> stable? If this is the case, then I believe ~arch is more preferred.
9 >>>
10 >>> I haven't read much into it, but Fedora has a concept of "Secondary
11 >>> Architectures." I think it would make sense if we could keep stable
12 >>> keywords for them, but not prevent maintainers from needing to wait on
13 >>> them to stabilize other packages.
14 >>
15 >> I don't see how that would work. You can't remove older versions
16 >> unless a newer one is stabilized, or you'd break the tree.
17 >
18 > Sort-of. You'd break it in that users would have to accept ~arch to
19 > keep that package, or remove it. It is really no different than
20 > dropping stable keywords which forces them to do the same thing,
21 > except that you're doing it one package at a time.
22 >
23 > You could impose a time limit to respond to the STABLEREQ prior to
24 > removal (30-60 days or something).
25 >
26 > I think the result of a policy like this would be that stable keywords
27 > would get dropped on most peripheral packages, but system packages
28 > might still keep them. That might actually be the right balance - if
29 > the arch teams focus on just system or other important packages they
30 > might be able to find the time to keep up rather than trying to boil
31 > the ocean.
32 >
33 > Rich
36 What's the point of that? Most users need more than what @system
37 provides so after they deploy the 'stable' stage3 they will
38 start pulling ~arch packages that were never tested against the stable
39 tree. It so much better if stage3 was also ~arch.
42 Regards,
43 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
44 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang