From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:24:40
1 On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 22 August 2013 11:01, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I think the result of a policy like this would be that stable keywords
4 >> would get dropped on most peripheral packages, but system packages
5 >> might still keep them.
6 >
7 > What's the point of that? Most users need more than what @system
8 > provides so after they deploy the 'stable' stage3 they will
9 > start pulling ~arch packages that were never tested against the stable
10 > tree. It so much better if stage3 was also ~arch.
11
12 Do we actually have examples of this happening? I've never had
13 problems with a mix of stable and ~arch keywords. Granted, I'm not
14 running ~arch on most libs.
15
16 I've seen lots of talk about stable being less reliable than ~arch,
17 and ~arch applications on a stable core being unreliable, but I've
18 never actually seen any real evidence that either is true. Granted,
19 I'm not necessarily expecting a scientific study, but I haven't even
20 heard anecdotes. I can't offer much personally - I only really use
21 stable to any extent and I find it works just fine other than the
22 occasional need to unmask something.
23
24 Rich