From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:29:18
1 On 22 August 2013 12:24, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 22 August 2013 11:01, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> I think the result of a policy like this would be that stable keywords
5 >>> would get dropped on most peripheral packages, but system packages
6 >>> might still keep them.
7 >>
8 >> What's the point of that? Most users need more than what @system
9 >> provides so after they deploy the 'stable' stage3 they will
10 >> start pulling ~arch packages that were never tested against the stable
11 >> tree. It so much better if stage3 was also ~arch.
12 >
13 > Do we actually have examples of this happening? I've never had
14 > problems with a mix of stable and ~arch keywords. Granted, I'm not
15 > running ~arch on most libs.
16
17 Wow! That is something we actively encourage people to avoid. Mixed
18 systems are totally
19 unsupported and I am sure quite a few bugs are closed as invalid when
20 a mixed system is detected.
21
22 It may work on regular basis but encouraging and supporting such
23 configurations is definitely not desirable.
24
25 It's also a bit ehm, funny, to give them a stable stage3 and then tell
26 them that for everything else, please use ~arch.
29 Regards,
30 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
31 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang