From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:35:48
1 On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:28:24 +0100
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Wow! That is something we actively encourage people to avoid. Mixed
5 > systems are totally
6 > unsupported and I am sure quite a few bugs are closed as invalid when
7 > a mixed system is detected.
8
9 Mixing stable and testing is precisely what arch teams (hopefully) do in
10 testing and stabilising: building and running new software on a known
11 to be stable platform in order to merge the new software into the
12 stable branch (or not).
13
14 Mixing stable and testing is precisely what package
15 maintainers (hopefully) do when committing new versions: building and
16 running new software on a known to be stable platform on the premise
17 that the new software is likely to be merged into the stable branch
18 (before the platform changes too much).
19
20 Mixing stable and testing is what triggers users to file useful
21 bug reports about incompatibilities between new software and stable
22 (reverse) dependencies.
23
24 Cases where reporting bugs about mixing stable and testing is (likely)
25 invalid is when unmasking one package in the unstable branch causes
26 (reverse) dependency resolution issues with another package in the
27 stable branch (since users should know how to resolve those - there is
28 generally no bug for maintainers to fix).
29
30 There is a lot more to it than this, of course. I'm just pointing out
31 some of the obvious scenarios in which mixing stable and testing should
32 be encouraged.
35 jer