From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 22:45:44
1 On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:28:24 +0100
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Wow! That is something we actively encourage people to avoid. Mixed
5 > systems are totally
6 > unsupported and I am sure quite a few bugs are closed as invalid when
7 > a mixed system is detected.
8 >
9 > It may work on regular basis but encouraging and supporting such
10 > configurations is definitely not desirable.
11 >
12 > It's also a bit ehm, funny, to give them a stable stage3 and then tell
13 > them that for everything else, please use ~arch.
14
15 Really? So you’re telling me that if I want Drupal on my Web server,
16 which if it breaks then takes a few minutes to revert to the previous
17 version and has virtually zero chance of taking anything else down
18 with it, then it’s “definitely not desirable…to encourage” me to use
19 mixed keywords—instead I should be using ~arch versions of, say, glibc,
20 iproute2, openssh, openrc, and the kernel, every single one of which,
21 should it break, would be fixable only with a bus ride across the city,
22 access to a locked room, wiring up a keyboard and monitor, and possibly
23 booting from a live disk?
24
25 There’s breakage of one package, and then there’s breakage of the
26 *system*. Running mixed versions may increase the chance of breakage of
27 the particular package that’s ~arch as compared to running a full ~arch
28 system, but as long as that package isn’t part of or needed by the
29 system boot process, I can’t see how mixed versions could do anything
30 but decrease the chance of breakage of the system as a whole.
31
32 Chris