From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is the $Id$ line in our ebuilds still useful?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 16:54:15
1 On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 13 Aug 2015 10:36, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> I understood the usefulness of this line to some when we were using CVS
4 >> since it expanded into the ebuild revision, date, etc.
5 >>
6 >> This expansion doesn't take place under git, so now I don't understand
7 >> the usefulness of this line. If I have missed something, can someone
8 >> fill me in, or if it isn't useful any more can we consider removing it?
9 >
10 > delete it and be done
11
12 When I asked a few days ago the arugment was made that it will be
13 expanded when the ebuilds hit rsync, and then users can reference
14 these when submitting bugs so that devs know what revision they're
15 using/etc. It was stated that this was a highly-requested feature.
16
17 I'm still personally leaning towards delete it and be done for a few reasons:
18
19 1. If the user syncs from git and not from rsync (which I suspect
20 will be come steadily more popular - git is very efficient at syncing
21 though it takes more space), then they won't get the hash, though they
22 can of course just ask git for it.
23
24 2. Users don't routinely attach ebuilds to bugs, so we'll still be
25 pestering them for this info.
26
27 3. That hash doesn't provide any kind of at-a-glance info anyway.
28 You're going to to have to ask git what it is. It is a unique ID for
29 the file though.
30
31 I think IDs embedded in files make more sense for workflows that
32 envision a lot of out-of-git work, since they tie back into the git
33 tree. If you stay in git all the time, they're redundant.
34
35 But, the biggest reason IMHO is that it is in-band signaling and I can
36 forsee all the issues we ran into with cvs keywords. The git
37 validation and migration work constantly ran into this as probably our
38 #1 unfixable problem, and Robin's go-live emails indicated that we
39 still had tons of patches that had keyword expansion issues. The job
40 of an scm should be to store files and regurgitate them on request.
41 If you ask it to also mangle their contents you're inevitably asking
42 it to mangle their contents in ways you didn't forsee.
45 Rich