From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Identity Provider
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 07:26:03
1 On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 00:21 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:23 AM Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hi Alec,
6 > >
7 > > On Mon, 18 May 2020 18:42:24 -0700 Alec Warner wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > TL;DR: What if we launched id.gentoo.org, an identity provider that
10 > > > provides authentication for Gentoo properties? Basically, 1 username /
11 > > > password for wiki, bugs, email, forums, and any other http
12 > > > service[0][1].
13 > > >
14 > > > Today Gentoo has numerous systems that mostly work in a segmented way.
15 > > >
16 > > > - To connect to hosts, we use ssh keys.
17 > > > - Git is authenticated via ssh keys.
18 > > > - Email uses LDAP passwords.
19 > > > - Bugzilla has its own identities, with their own passwords.
20 > > > - Wiki is separate, with its own passwords.
21 > > > - Forums are separate.
22 > > > - Infra has an additional 4 systems that use separate credentials.
23 > > >
24 > > > Some applications support 2FA (such as wiki.)
25 > > > Some applications do not support 2FA.
26 > > > Applications that require 2FA have a configuration for each app, so you
27 > > > have N configurations.
28 > > >
29 > > > If we configured id.gentoo.org you would have 1 identity across all
30 > > > gentoo properties.
31 > > >
32 > > > Is this a thing people are interested in?
33 > > >
34 > > > [0] It's unlikely operations for git via ssh would change in this
35 > > > rollout. [1] Its unclear if the scope is "gentoo developers" or "any
36 > > > community member." The former have LDAP accounts and @gentoo.org email
37 > > > addresses and so we can manage them easily; managing 1000s of other
38 > > > accounts in the IDP remains to be seem.
39 > >
40 > > In case 2FA won't be mandatory I find this a good idea.
43 > 2FA is definitely a reason to deploy software like keycloak, but in the
44 > first rollout I don't expect to enforce 2FA. Ideally we would deploy the
45 > U2F support in keycloak and then, similar to our earlier program, offer
46 > discounted or free u2f devices for Gentoo developers; this would likely be
47 > on a 1-2 year timeframe.
48 >
49 > Is there some reason you don't want to use 2FA?
52 I myself would find 2FA bothersome for low importance services. Whether
53 it's U2F or OTP, I would generally find it silly to have to carry
54 the hardware/software on me all the time or even use it when it's laying
55 right next to me, say, just to approve a comment on a blog.
56
57 But I guess if we go for SSO, it becomes a necessity to better protect
58 our passwords.
61 Best regards,
62 Michał Górny