From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Identity Provider
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 08:00:00
1 On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 12:26 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 2020-05-20 at 00:21 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 1:23 AM Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
5 > > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Hi Alec,
8 > > >
9 > > > On Mon, 18 May 2020 18:42:24 -0700 Alec Warner wrote:
10 > > >
11 > > > > TL;DR: What if we launched id.gentoo.org, an identity provider that
12 > > > > provides authentication for Gentoo properties? Basically, 1 username
13 > /
14 > > > > password for wiki, bugs, email, forums, and any other http
15 > > > > service[0][1].
16 > > > >
17 > > > > Today Gentoo has numerous systems that mostly work in a segmented
18 > way.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > - To connect to hosts, we use ssh keys.
21 > > > > - Git is authenticated via ssh keys.
22 > > > > - Email uses LDAP passwords.
23 > > > > - Bugzilla has its own identities, with their own passwords.
24 > > > > - Wiki is separate, with its own passwords.
25 > > > > - Forums are separate.
26 > > > > - Infra has an additional 4 systems that use separate credentials.
27 > > > >
28 > > > > Some applications support 2FA (such as wiki.)
29 > > > > Some applications do not support 2FA.
30 > > > > Applications that require 2FA have a configuration for each app, so
31 > you
32 > > > > have N configurations.
33 > > > >
34 > > > > If we configured id.gentoo.org you would have 1 identity across all
35 > > > > gentoo properties.
36 > > > >
37 > > > > Is this a thing people are interested in?
38 > > > >
39 > > > > [0] It's unlikely operations for git via ssh would change in this
40 > > > > rollout. [1] Its unclear if the scope is "gentoo developers" or "any
41 > > > > community member." The former have LDAP accounts and @gentoo.org
42 > email
43 > > > > addresses and so we can manage them easily; managing 1000s of other
44 > > > > accounts in the IDP remains to be seem.
45 > > >
46 > > > In case 2FA won't be mandatory I find this a good idea.
47 > > >
48 > >
49 > > 2FA is definitely a reason to deploy software like keycloak, but in the
50 > > first rollout I don't expect to enforce 2FA. Ideally we would deploy the
51 > > U2F support in keycloak and then, similar to our earlier program, offer
52 > > discounted or free u2f devices for Gentoo developers; this would likely
53 > be
54 > > on a 1-2 year timeframe.
55 > >
56 > > Is there some reason you don't want to use 2FA?
59 > I myself would find 2FA bothersome for low importance services. Whether
60 > it's U2F or OTP, I would generally find it silly to have to carry
61 > the hardware/software on me all the time or even use it when it's laying
62 > right next to me, say, just to approve a comment on a blog.
63 >
64 > But I guess if we go for SSO, it becomes a necessity to better protect
65 > our passwords.
68 I think each application, when it ends up integrating with keycloak, gets
69 to decide what security level the application wants; I think this leads to
70 flexibility for low-importance stuff. E.g. we may not need OTP for blogs,
71 or wiki. Obvious cases are apps like our AWS credentials (where theft means
72 financial harm for Gentoo) or the sso.gentoo.org itself (because you
73 probably want to require OTP to change your password, for example.)
74
75 The other common thing I've seen is some kind of longer-lived renewable
76 token that requires an OTP to get, but does not require an OTP to renew.
77 These are commonly things like "API keys" or other such credentials that
78 are scopeable (unlike a password) and revocable (e.g. you can go to
79 sso.gentoo.org and revoke your token.) This seems more common on mobile
80 where there is a 'setup' flow and maybe you do it once (at setup), or once
81 a month, or whatnot. This would mean you don't have to OTP all the time.
82
83 -A
86 > --
87 > Best regards,