From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-scm@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-scm] Re: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: go-live!
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 14:57:02
1 On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 09:10:30AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > We shouldn't do anything (besides adapting repoman to the $Id$ format)
3 > without some discussion first. However...
4 >
5 > Do we really need to have ANY keywords in our files? Keyword
6 > expansion was just a PITA all-around with cvs. Do we really need to
7 > embed them in our git files?
8 >
9 > At least git doesn't expand them in the actual repository.
10 >
11 > I'm not really a big fan of any kind of in-band signaling. I guess
12 > the one advantage of this is that if you find a file OUTSIDE of a
13 > repository you know where it came from, but how important is that?
14 The expansion is ONLY for the rsync export, so that we can identify the
15 version of the file on a user's system.
16
17 When previously discussed, that was a strongly requested item, as
18 developers DO sometimes ask users to please test rev 1.xyz of an ebuild.
21 Robin Hugh Johnson
22 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
23 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
24 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85