From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC News item: FFmpeg default
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 07:01:05
1 On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 07:13:16 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >> Please also note that some packages support only one of the two
5 > >> implementations. An attempt to install one of those packages may
6 > >> result in blockers requiring the user changes the global USE=libav
7 > >> state. The most notable example of such package is
8 > >> media-video/mplayer. -media-video/mpv may be used as a replacement
9 > >> for users who prefer libav. +media-video/mpv may be used as a
10 > >> replacement for users who prefer libav, +even though upstream mpv
11 > >> developers recommend using ffmpeg.
12 > >
13 > > This is off-topic, and strongly biased.
14 >
15 > The original statement may give the impression that mpv is to libav
16 > what mplayer is to ffmpeg. Many users were surprised to find out that
17 > mpv upstream actually recommends ffmpeg, and that some of mpv's
18 > features do not work with libav. If we are going to specifically
19 > recommend mpv, then it is something users need to be aware of.
20 >
21 > We could change it to: media-video/mpv works with both ffmpeg and
22 > libav, though some of its features require ffmpeg. Or something along
23 > those lines.
26 I'd rather drop entirely that part about mplayer/mpv; I agree this is
27 something users need to be aware of if we recommend mpv but with ffmpeg
28 as default the "mplayer hard requires ffmpeg" is no longer an issue.
29 Otherwise, we might as well note that gst-libav recommends... heh...
30 libav, and as such all gst based players (totem, firefox, etc.)
31
32 Alexis.