From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC News item: FFmpeg default
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 18:37:46
1 El mar, 07-04-2015 a las 09:00 +0200, Alexis Ballier escribió:
2 [...]
3 > I'd rather drop entirely that part about mplayer/mpv; I agree this is
4 > something users need to be aware of if we recommend mpv but with ffmpeg
5 > as default the "mplayer hard requires ffmpeg" is no longer an issue.
6 > Otherwise, we might as well note that gst-libav recommends... heh...
7 > libav, and as such all gst based players (totem, firefox, etc.)
8 >
9 > Alexis.
12 Well... for gst plugin we are anyway running in a "non-recommended" way
13 as soon as we don't run with its internal copy or the concrete libav
14 version each major gst-libav version is prepared to (like it's the case
15 currently with libav-9 for example or Debian with libav-11... and we are
16 the only two major distributions that are currently defaulting to libav
17 over ffmpeg ;)
18
19 Anyway, I agree that the mpv comment doesn't really belong to the news
20 item... if some mpv features won't work when built with "libav" it's up
21 to the ebuild to inform users about that problems (either with an ewarn
22 or with a local USE description for its "libav" flag)