From: Todd Berman <tberman@g.o>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK2 QT Theme
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 08:37:40
1 On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 02:59, Spider wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:18:24 +1100
4 > Troy Dack <tad@g.o> wrote:
9 > > Ebuild is at:
10 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~tad/overlay/x11-themes/gtk-engines-qt/
11 > > (copy to your overlay directory, don't forget the patch in files/)
12 > >
13 > > Screenshot at:
14 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~tad/gtk-qt.png (~560K, 1600x1200)
15 > >
16 > > Currently most gtk-engines-* ebuilds seem to belong to the Gnome herd,
17 > > so not wanting to step on anyones toes, would the Gnome herd object to
18 > > this build being placed in the tree?
19 >
20 > as it is its crashy, check the reported gaim crashes due to the theme
21 > for example (yes. that was the 0.2 version). as ~ is -not- a playground
22 > for broken packages or known buggy things I oppose the inclusion of this
23 > until it can be shown as to not crash applications.
27 > //Spider
28
29 While I completely agree with that normally, I do think that since there
30 is nothing else like this, and if TaD adds some sort of disclaimer at
31 the bottom suggesting that it is crashy and they should try changing
32 their theme and seeing if crashes persist it shouldn't be a problem.
33
34 If this was an important package it being a bit buggy would be a good
35 reason to not include it, but it is basically a novelty item, and if TaD
36 will maintain it, why not?
37
38 Gentoo is about choice, and if a user chooses to run buggy themes that
39 might cause an app or two to capsize, who are we to stop them?
40
41 --Todd
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list