From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ebuild copyright attribution?
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:23:34
1 Daniel Robbins said in August:
2
3 "I've been trying to get people to keep their names in the copyright line for
4 over a year, but no one has really started doing it. To my knowledge, it is
5 better to have multiple official copyright holders for GPL code than just a
6 single copyright holder. I would like all our ebuilds to have a copyright
7 like this:
8
9 # Copyright 2003 Gentoo Technologies, Joe User, and others (see cvs
10 # changelog.) Distributed under the GPL version 2.
11
12 I don't see why this would be a problem for anyone, and makes a lot more
13 sense than what we are doing now."
14
15 Since then I've submitted all my ebuilds with dual copyright lines, but never
16 once been accepted as that. I've been told that the automated tools don't
17 like a different line, and that "Seemant says "dual copyrights" are only
18 accepted for special circumstances, e.g. when you're employed to do the work
19 by an external entitity".
20
21 On another note, it would be nice to see ebuilds accepted if there are no bug
22 reports after a while.. I have ebuilds for new packages still sitting in
23 bugzilla after half a year.
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list