From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 05:49:28
1 On 30/10/2012 22:44, Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > I agree. It really doesn't make sense to keep unbuildable stuff in the
3 > tree. The point of slotting it in the first place was also to force a
4 > rebuild of reverse dependencies to have them use newer boost (since at
5 > that time when boost slotting was introduced we had some API breakages
6 > occurring between versions).
7 > Now with the sub-slots we can simply use this feature to tell the PM to
8 > rebuild the stuff.
9
10 Well, as long as the soname is correct (which it is), with
11 preserved-rebuild (which is now available on ~arch Portage as well),
12 this is basically already possible to some extent without even using
13 subslots.
14
15 Each new minor version bump (1.49 -> 1.50) will orphan the 1.49
16 libraries, @preserved-rebuild will rebuild the linked packages.
17
18 Of course for those that don't link to the objects, but only use the
19 headers, the sub-slots make it possible as well.
22 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
23 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/