From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping slotted boost
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 05:46:03
1 Am Dienstag, den 30.10.2012, 11:30 -0700 schrieb Diego Elio Pettenò:
2 > Given the amount of headaches that Boost seems to give us all, now
3 > thanks to the recent changes even more because Gentoo's boost is
4 > different from all others and no upstream default check seem to work
5 > correctly with it, I'm questioning the usefulness of having it slotted.
6 >
7 > Among other things, with each GCC/GLIBC update all but a handful of
8 > slots are kept working; in this case I think most if not all <1.50 are
9 > broken.
10 >
11 > So given that it's a PITA for the maintainers, a PITA for the users,
12 > eselect boost has been shown to be a bad idea and so on ... can we just
15 I agree. It really doesn't make sense to keep unbuildable stuff in the
16 tree. The point of slotting it in the first place was also to force a
17 rebuild of reverse dependencies to have them use newer boost (since at
18 that time when boost slotting was introduced we had some API breakages
19 occurring between versions).
20 Now with the sub-slots we can simply use this feature to tell the PM to
21 rebuild the stuff.
22 I'll also put cpp as herd for it in metadata.xml.