From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lxnay@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone with access to genkernel repository? Or should genkernel be p.masked on amd64 profiles?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 22:21:22
1 On Sat, 31 May 2014 22:42:17 +0100
2 Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Robin H. Johnson
5 > <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
6 > > No, I don't agree that kernel configs "belong" to kernel packages.
7 > > In general, barring the crazy option explosion, these are meant to
8 > > be stock working configs that should in combination with ANY kernel
9 > > package, produce a working kernel.
12 > Then you are just moving the problem around.
13 > I believe that kernel configs should be provided by their own kernel
14 > packages (and there are some, not just gentoo-sources) because it is
15 > much easier to keep them in sync on every new release and deal with
16 > each version separately if/as needed (including testing!). How are you
17 > dealing with config var name changes between different kernel versions
18 > or just different pkgs then?
19
20 Different packages is not a problem; since the difference in terms of
21 config between separate packages is small enough, a dozen of options.
22
23 Different version may be a problem, a rather small one; nothing
24 prevents one from keeping config options around for both versions.
25
26 > You cannot possibly support all kernel versions for all kernel pkgs
27 > available in tree with just one single config file in a sane, clean
28 > and maintainable way, hoping that a change in this file will not
29 > affect previous or future kernel releases. How are you going to test
30 > your config changes against old kernel pkgs? Each test is quite
31 > expensive to run.
32 >
33 > Good luck with that :-)
34
35 Does it really need to be sane, clean and maintainable for it to work?
36
37 Yes, maybe; but how sane, clean and maintainable? We can do better...
38
39 A fork (eg. hardened-sources config, geek-sources config) where needed
40 might still be a way out; however, one should consider to look into a
41 better architecture than plain forks. For example, a config that
42 sources a generic config and adds hardened changes on top of that;
43 kind of like the way GRUB 2's /etc/grub.d/ config generation works.
44
45 We should introduce this only when needed to avoid to over-design it.
48 With kind regards,
49
50 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
51 Gentoo Developer
52
53 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
54 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
55 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D