From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone with access to genkernel repository? Or should genkernel be p.masked on amd64 profiles?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:43:05
1 On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > No, I don't agree that kernel configs "belong" to kernel packages. In
3 > general, barring the crazy option explosion, these are meant to be stock
4 > working configs that should in combination with ANY kernel package,
5 > produce a working kernel.
8 Then you are just moving the problem around.
9 I believe that kernel configs should be provided by their own kernel
10 packages (and there are some, not just gentoo-sources) because it is
11 much easier to keep them in sync on every new release and deal with
12 each version separately if/as needed (including testing!). How are you
13 dealing with config var name changes between different kernel versions
14 or just different pkgs then?
15 You cannot possibly support all kernel versions for all kernel pkgs
16 available in tree with just one single config file in a sane, clean
17 and maintainable way, hoping that a change in this file will not
18 affect previous or future kernel releases. How are you going to test
19 your config changes against old kernel pkgs? Each test is quite
20 expensive to run.
21
22 Good luck with that :-)
23
24 [...]
27 > --
28 > Robin Hugh Johnson
29 > Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
30 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
31 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
37 Fabio Erculiani