From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone with access to genkernel repository? Or should genkernel be p.masked on amd64 profiles?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 23:01:17
1 On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 10:42:17PM +0100, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > No, I don't agree that kernel configs "belong" to kernel packages. In
4 > > general, barring the crazy option explosion, these are meant to be stock
5 > > working configs that should in combination with ANY kernel package,
6 > > produce a working kernel.
9 > Then you are just moving the problem around.
10 > I believe that kernel configs should be provided by their own kernel
11 > packages (and there are some, not just gentoo-sources) because it is
12 > much easier to keep them in sync on every new release and deal with
13 > each version separately if/as needed (including testing!). How are you
14 > dealing with config var name changes between different kernel versions
15 > or just different pkgs then?
16 >
17 > You cannot possibly support all kernel versions for all kernel pkgs
18 > available in tree with just one single config file in a sane, clean
19 > and maintainable way, hoping that a change in this file will not
20 > affect previous or future kernel releases. How are you going to test
21 > your config changes against old kernel pkgs? Each test is quite
22 > expensive to run.
23 I never said I was going to support all different kernel sources.
24
25 genkernel only officially supports gentoo-sources & hardened-sources.
26 (and those are supersets of the vanilla tree).
27
28 The stock genkernel config actually works for most users, on most kernel
29 sources, on most systems; and parts of it date back to 2.6.14. Sure it
30 doesn't turn on all of the features requested, but it does actually
31 work.
32
33 That said, I do intend to included an official kernel config for each
34 major kernel release 3.x; for both hardened & gentoo-sources. Infra uses
35 the hardened one, and releng uses the gentoo-sources one.
36
37 The only change really is that the packaging is going to be separate
38 from genkernel, and it'll get a bit more care than before.
41 Robin Hugh Johnson
42 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
43 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
44 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85