From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:19:33
1 Niklas Bolander wrote:
2
3 >On Friday 23 December 2005 20:59, Peter wrote:
6 >>>I can tell you that I would be disappointed if this replaces the current
7 >>>ebuilds, because I really don't need to reinstall nvidia-settings and
8 >>>nvidia-glx every time I build a new kernel.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>That's why we are having this dialog. When I proposed doing a unified
12 >>ebuild, the objective always was to get and encourage feedback. If you are
13 >>happy keeping up with three ebuilds, then that is feedback we need to
14 >>have. BTW, please post these comments to the bug report.
18 >>>>We hope you will find this approach a more streamlined and easy
19 >>>>implementation for nVidia.
20 >>>>
21 >>>>
22 >>>I don't particularly see how it is easier.
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>But many do. This mirrors the approach nvidia takes.
30 >As another non-dev/user I must say that three separate ebuilds is preferable.
31 >The kernel ebuild must be recompiled every time I change kernel while the glx
32 >only needs to be installed once. Finaly, I have rather bad experiences of
33 >nvidia-settings and would like to avoid them at all.
34 >
35 >Wouldn't it be more sensible to make a nvidia-meta build that pulled in all
36 >three if the goal is pure simplicity?
37 >
38 >Merry Christmas btw.
39 >
40 >/Niklas
43 I have to agree. Do it sort of like KDE, with kde, kde-meta or as
44 seperate packages. Have it so you can pull in all three in one emerge
45 command but have the option to do it seperately as well. I have only
46 emerged glx once and do the nvidia-kernel when I change kernels. I
47 really don't have any use for the settings package, as long as my GUI
48 works anyway.
49
50 Just give us some options. We'll be happy then.
51
52 Dale
53 :-)
54
55 Now to shut my mouth on the dev list. My foot doesn't fit very well. O_O
58 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
59
60 I have four rigs:
61
62 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
63 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
64 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive.
65 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive.
66
67 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
70 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list