From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:04:04
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Niklas Bolander wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Friday 23 December 2005 20:59, Peter wrote:
7 >>>> I can tell you that I would be disappointed if this replaces the
8 >>>> current
9 >>>> ebuilds, because I really don't need to reinstall nvidia-settings and
10 >>>> nvidia-glx every time I build a new kernel.
11 >>>>
12 >>>
13 >>> That's why we are having this dialog. When I proposed doing a unified
14 >>> ebuild, the objective always was to get and encourage feedback. If
15 >>> you are
16 >>> happy keeping up with three ebuilds, then that is feedback we need to
17 >>> have. BTW, please post these comments to the bug report.
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>>> We hope you will find this approach a more streamlined and easy
22 >>>>> implementation for nVidia.
23 >>>>>
24 >>>>
25 >>>> I don't particularly see how it is easier.
26 >>>>
27 >>>
28 >>> But many do. This mirrors the approach nvidia takes.
29 >>>
30 >>>
33 >> As another non-dev/user I must say that three separate ebuilds is
34 >> preferable. The kernel ebuild must be recompiled every time I change
35 >> kernel while the glx only needs to be installed once. Finaly, I have
36 >> rather bad experiences of nvidia-settings and would like to avoid them
37 >> at all.
38 >>
39 >> Wouldn't it be more sensible to make a nvidia-meta build that pulled
40 >> in all three if the goal is pure simplicity?
41 >> Merry Christmas btw.
42 >>
43 >> /Niklas
46 > I have to agree. Do it sort of like KDE, with kde, kde-meta or as
47 > seperate packages. Have it so you can pull in all three in one emerge
48 > command but have the option to do it seperately as well. I have only
49 > emerged glx once and do the nvidia-kernel when I change kernels. I
50 > really don't have any use for the settings package, as long as my GUI
51 > works anyway.
52 >
53 > Just give us some options. We'll be happy then.
56 Ditto. A unified build would make more work for my tired old CPU. A meta
57 build would be better, give us the choice to pull it all in or one at a
58 time like kde.
61 ps. I appreciate the original intention of trying to clean this up. Thanks!
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list