From: Mivz <mivz@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:33:24
Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:21:45 +0200 > Mivz <mivz@×××××××××××××.net> wrote: > >> Does this obligation, to provide your own source, also count for a >> none Gentoo developer making a overlay tree for one of his projects >> which is licensed under de GPL-2? > > If your project is licensed under the GPL-2, you have to honour the > provisions of that license. You can't license something under the GPL > and not provide the source. > > If you're distributing binary packages, you need to distribute also the > source code that went to make up those binary packages (i.e. your > changes/additions and also both upstream sources). > > If you're only distributing source code (e.g. ebuild scripts, patch > files) then there's nothing further you need to do. > >> Would that mean that, if u write software using the portage system, >> that every package that is used by one of your own should be >> available from a server of your own? > > You need to provide the source for all binaries you distribute. > >> If, the developer should also provide it's own file server with all >> those packages, this would cause that every developer that wanted to >> make a overlay should be a Gentoo file mirror? > > Only if they distribute binaries, in which case source should be > provided sufficient to build those binaries. > >> Do my senses run wilde? Your just my imagination? >> Do I understand this right? > > If you're not sure whether something you do is compliant with the > relevant licenses, talk to an appropriate lawyer. >
Tanks for the clear explanation. I get the point, I have to distribute only my own sources for the overlay. But when I build a custom Live cd or Stage 3 installation, I have to provide those packages from source also or provide a Gentoo mirror. (which contains those) And I have to look for a lawyer to be sure I do everything right. Then I have got this one question, I don't need a answer too. How free is free software if you need a lawyer and a expensive server just to be able to publish your addition under your own name? -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL and Source code providing Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL and Source code providing Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
[gentoo-dev] Re: GPL and Source code providing Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>