From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:51:34
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > News Item Source
4 > ----------------
5 >
6 > News items are to be made available via the Portage tree. This removes any
7 > need for polling of a remote source.
8 >
9 > A new directory, ``news/``, will be created in the main tree. Commit access
10 > to this directory will be handled in the same way as for the rest of the
11 > tree. This directory will contain further subdirectories named
12 > ``yyyy-mm/``, where ``yyyy`` is the current year and ``mm`` is the current
13 > month number (01 for January through 12 for December) -- this extra level
14 > of separation will help keep news items more manageable.
15
16 Could we possibly use a system thats a mix of how GLSA's and GLEP's are
17 handled currently? The main point here being that we can move the actual
18 cvs location outside of gentoo-x86 and put it in somewhere more
19 appropriate for translators. The example here is, all the GLSA's are
20 currently not in the gentoo-x86 module. The regeneration script on our
21 master mirror syncs with the gentoo module location for GLSA's and
22 copies those files in its current location in the tree.
23
24 Perhaps we could do the same for the news item where they actually
25 reside in the documentation module and the 'plain text' versions of the
26 files get copied into the tree at regen time. Correct me if I'm wrong,
27 but I think GLEPs are currently created as RST files then you use a
28 converter script to make it in guidexml. Then you actually commit both
29 the rst and xml file to cvs. Could we possibly do the same here to make
30 it simple? Automation is great where it fits best. I'd rather not deal
31 with conversion on the server end, I'd prefer the conversion be handled
32 by the developer/translator as they can double check the conversion
33 script better than the script itself can.
34
35 Poke at that :-)
36
37 Cheers-
40 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
41 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
42
43 ---
44 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
45 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
46
47 ramereth/irc.freenode.net