From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] G/FBSD compatibility: root:root and cp -a
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:39:21
1 On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 14:08 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > Ok, to help devels know which are the requisites of Gentoo/FreeBSD porting (as
3 > we're going near to a release, I hope), I think it's better telling here what
4 > we hope you all will avoid (and we must replace when keywording).
5 > Those problems are also valid for ppc-macos AFAIK, so you won't help just us,
6 > but also ppc-macos project.
7 >
8 > The first one is the root:root problem (there's no root group in *BSD and
9 > BSD-based systems); the solution is usually using 0:0 to chown. If nobody is
10 > going to disagrees with this, I think this solution is what we should use.
11 >
12 > The other problem is with cp -a: -a is a GNU option which is not supported by
13 > non-GNU cp commands. As the man pages says, it's equivalent to -dpPR.
14 > Unfortuately -dpPR is not portable in itself, but usually what you need is
15 > -pPR which works just fine usually.
16 >
17 > I'm not going to have a big immediate change of all the ebuilds in portage,
18 > but at least I hope new ebuilds doesn't get added with those problems in
19 > them :)
22 Patch them ? ;)
26 Martin Schlemmer
27 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
28 Cape Town, South Africa