From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RDEPEND definition in docs differ from official PMS specs
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:51:16
1 El sáb, 17-01-2009 a las 16:41 +0100, Thomas Sachau escribió:
2 > Marius Mauch schrieb:
3 > > On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:09:49 +0100
4 > > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> Hi,
7 > >>
8 > >> as specified in the PMS spec [1] and stated in #gentoo-portage,
9 > >> RDEPEND will be set to DEPEND, if it is not defined in the ebuild
10 > >> itself. But devmanual [2] and developer handbook [3] both state, you
11 > >> have do explicitly set RDEPEND because it may be removed in the
12 > >> future. Since package manager have to follow the PMS spec, i would
13 > >> suggest to change those docs [2][3] and let them follow the PMS spec.
14 > >>
15 > >> Any problems, suggestions or anything else about this?
16 > >
17 > > It's strongly recommended to set both explicitly as the behavior could
18 > > change in future EAPI versions, and to ensure that you actually think
19 > > about which deps are build deps and which are runtime deps.
20 > > Also there is nothing wrong with policies being stricter than the
21 > > underlying spec.
22 > >
23 > > Marius
27 > If i want to use some future EAPI (give me some reasons, why this should be changed there by
28 > default), i should think about it. But most ebuilds will stay with the default. I do think about
29 > runtime deps and build deps. In my eyes, this is similar to src_unpack and src_compile. They have
30 > defaults, noone specifies the defaults, even if they are changed in some EAPI.
33 You may want to change the wording in docs to make it say it's
34 encouraged to set both but it's not technically needed.
35
36 Note that PMS is *not* a good practice guidelenes. There are a bunch of
37 things that are technically valid but wrong from a QA point of view.
38
39 Regards,
40 --
41 Santiago Moisés Mola