From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RDEPEND definition in docs differ from official PMS specs
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:41:41
1 Marius Mauch schrieb:
2 > On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 14:09:49 +0100
3 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> as specified in the PMS spec [1] and stated in #gentoo-portage,
8 >> RDEPEND will be set to DEPEND, if it is not defined in the ebuild
9 >> itself. But devmanual [2] and developer handbook [3] both state, you
10 >> have do explicitly set RDEPEND because it may be removed in the
11 >> future. Since package manager have to follow the PMS spec, i would
12 >> suggest to change those docs [2][3] and let them follow the PMS spec.
13 >>
14 >> Any problems, suggestions or anything else about this?
15 >
16 > It's strongly recommended to set both explicitly as the behavior could
17 > change in future EAPI versions, and to ensure that you actually think
18 > about which deps are build deps and which are runtime deps.
19 > Also there is nothing wrong with policies being stricter than the
20 > underlying spec.
21 >
22 > Marius
26 If i want to use some future EAPI (give me some reasons, why this should be changed there by
27 default), i should think about it. But most ebuilds will stay with the default. I do think about
28 runtime deps and build deps. In my eyes, this is similar to src_unpack and src_compile. They have
29 defaults, noone specifies the defaults, even if they are changed in some EAPI.
32 Thomas Sachau
33
34 Gentoo Linux Developer