From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About the 'eapi' file in profile directories
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 02:02:20
1 > On 1 Aug 2021, at 00:23, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> [snip]
4 >
5 > Yeah, I found one mention in the Wiki[1], but not under "Profiles" in the
6 > devmanual[2]. The Wiki description doesn't say why that file is needed in
7 > every single subdirectory.
8 >
9 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)#Profile_structure
10 > [2] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/profiles/index.html
11 >
12 > That said, the PMS reference actually provides the clearest explanation. I
13 > think that language should be in the devmanual at [2], as it also explains
14 > the lack of inheritance.
17 Does this PR [0] for the devmanual help a bit? Let me know if you have feedback
18 (either here or on GitHub is fine, I don't mind).
19
20 > Okay, mystery solved. We'll have to someday revisit why this file can't be
21 > inherited, which would allow us to reduce the number of copies in the tree.
24 Yeah, I think this is worth investigating. I've wondered the same thing before.
25
26 [0] https://github.com/gentoo/devmanual/pull/240
27
28 best,