From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About the 'eapi' file in profile directories
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 23:23:15
1 On 7/31/2021 18:47, Sam James wrote:
4 >> On 31 Jul 2021, at 23:42, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
7 >> I can't find much documentation on the 'eapi' file found in many of the
8 >> profile directories. Several of the ones in
9 >> profiles/arch/{amd64,sparc,mips} all report '5', and this aligns with the
10 >> mips 17.0 profile under default/linux. Since EAPI 5 is deprecated, should
11 >> this file be edited to be at least EAPI 6 or 7, or is it a relic of the past
12 >> and really just needs to be tossed out?
13 >>
14 >> If EAPI support is really needed in the profiles, it seems like there has to
15 >> be a better mechanism to codify it in a more central location versus
16 >> scattering ~390 of the things across the base profiles directory.
17 >>
18 >> Thoughts?
19 >
20 > As far as I know, the only real documentation on this is in PMS [0]. Not much
21 > changed in EAPIs 6, 7, or 8 for profiles and I think we're rather conservative
22 > (a number of years) about increasing the baseline because it makes old
23 > upgrades even more difficult.
24 >
25 > I think there may be a guideline about that somewhere but I can't think where
26 > it Is right now. There's a reference to it in the devmanual [1] when explaining
27 > EAPI 8 - that page may have other useful information too.
28 >
29 > TL;DR: We don't get much out of it and either the EAPIs are too new to use
30 > in profiles or they didn't change anything relevant.
31 >
32 > [0] https://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html#x1-450005.2.2
33 > [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/eapi/#eapi-8-tree-layout
34 >
35 > best,
36 > sam
37
38 Yeah, I found one mention in the Wiki[1], but not under "Profiles" in the
39 devmanual[2]. The Wiki description doesn't say why that file is needed in
40 every single subdirectory.
41
42 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Profile_(Portage)#Profile_structure
43 [2] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/profiles/index.html
44
45 That said, the PMS reference actually provides the clearest explanation. I
46 think that language should be in the devmanual at [2], as it also explains
47 the lack of inheritance.
48
49 The other devmanual reference only refers to a specific instance of that
50 file at the base of the profiles directory.
51
52 Okay, mystery solved. We'll have to someday revisit why this file can't be
53 inherited, which would allow us to reduce the number of copies in the tree.
54
55 Thanks!,
58 Joshua Kinard
59 Gentoo/MIPS
60 kumba@g.o
61 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
62 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
63
64 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
65 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
66
67 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic