From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About the 'eapi' file in profile directories
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 22:47:53
1 > On 31 Jul 2021, at 23:42, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
4 > I can't find much documentation on the 'eapi' file found in many of the
5 > profile directories. Several of the ones in
6 > profiles/arch/{amd64,sparc,mips} all report '5', and this aligns with the
7 > mips 17.0 profile under default/linux. Since EAPI 5 is deprecated, should
8 > this file be edited to be at least EAPI 6 or 7, or is it a relic of the past
9 > and really just needs to be tossed out?
10 >
11 > If EAPI support is really needed in the profiles, it seems like there has to
12 > be a better mechanism to codify it in a more central location versus
13 > scattering ~390 of the things across the base profiles directory.
14 >
15 > Thoughts?
16
17 As far as I know, the only real documentation on this is in PMS [0]. Not much
18 changed in EAPIs 6, 7, or 8 for profiles and I think we're rather conservative
19 (a number of years) about increasing the baseline because it makes old
20 upgrades even more difficult.
21
22 I think there may be a guideline about that somewhere but I can't think where
23 it Is right now. There's a reference to it in the devmanual [1] when explaining
24 EAPI 8 - that page may have other useful information too.
25
26 TL;DR: We don't get much out of it and either the EAPIs are too new to use
27 in profiles or they didn't change anything relevant.
28
29 [0] https://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html#x1-450005.2.2
30 [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/eapi/#eapi-8-tree-layout
31