From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 08:43:52
1 On 9 February 2016 at 16:09, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > There will always be a
3 > "poppyseed linux" whose purpose in life seems to be to preserve linux
4 > without sysfs or some other obscure practice.
7 This seems to be an attempt at painting the "stick with eudev" model
8 as an "old fogies who are afraid of change".
9
10 I think a better characterisation is that this is a battle of
11 simplicity vs complexity[1]
12
13 A pure udev system is in comparison, much simpler than a systemd system.
14
15 And that's much of the beauty of OpenRC. Its simple, it achieves the
16 same goals as Systemd and Upstart, etc, but does so with a lot less
17 mechanics under the hood, and doesn't clutter up systems with features
18 you don't need prematurely.
19
20 And there are great benefits from simplicity over complexity.
21
22 And a lot of Gentoo is surprisingly simple: Like our use of bash
23 scripts for recipies to build things, like using rsync to deploy/relay
24 not just those recipies, but security notices and news items, which
25 are themselves reasonably simple formats.
26
27 LFS and Slackware also seem to be platforms that leverage a lot of
28 "Simplicity" in the way of offering you only the basics you need to
29 get things done. They're not *easy* to use if you're a novice, but the
30 systems themselves are simple.
31
32 Thus, its not /merely/ a preference if a tool does things you don't need to do.
33
34 Because "I don't need a login daemon" is not a "Preference", its an
35 objective analysis of the systems requirements.
36
37 The only preference I see here is the preference to not have and
38 install things your system has no use for, which I find an odd
39 preference to be complaining about, and depending on your system
40 requirements, that may also be not so much "preference".
41
42 1: Related Viewing: http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy
43 --
44 Kent