From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 03:09:31
1 On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > what does in-house tool mean? i'm a gentoo developer but i also work
4 > on an upstream project (eudev) that 14 distros use.
5 >
6 > some of the criticism given here are my concerns as well and i've
7 > spoken with the various distros --- slack, parted magic, puppy. they
8 > get what's going on and they still see eudev is the best way forward
9 > for now. it may not be in the future, but neither will a udev
10 > extracted from a compiled full systemd codebase.
11
12 How many of those 14 distros have more than 14 users?
13
14 Look, I get it, some people don't like systemd. That's fine.
15 However, you have to realize at this point that a non-systemd
16 configuration is anything but mainstream. There will always be a
17 "poppyseed linux" whose purpose in life seems to be to preserve linux
18 without sysfs or some other obscure practice. I just think that
19 Gentoo should offer the choice to do those things, but have a more
20 mainstream set of defaults.
23 > it needs to be in the new stage4s to make a bootable system. imo a
24 > stage4 should be bootable modulo a kernel.
27 Sure, a stage4 based on systemd makes a lot of sense. I don't really
28 see the point in leaving a kernel out though - I'd even stick a
29 precompiled one in /boot on top of having the sources installed. Why
30 not make a stage4 install something that takes all of 5 minutes?
31
32 I think that offering an eudev-based distro as a default just doesn't
33 make sense in 2016. I just think the better road to take is to start
34 treating virtual/udev as something that gets installed post-stage3.
35 We can't even get people to agree on vi vs emacs as a default.
36
37 When these sorts of debates come up it seems like:
38 1. People express their preference.
39 2. People get offended when others express a different preference.
40 3. People say "it's just a default" as if that is a reason that
41 others shouldn't object to their own preference.
44 Rich