From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 00:58:56
1 On 2/8/16 7:46 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 02/08/2016 08:18 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On 2/8/16, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> The idea here is to change the order of the providers of
5 >>> virtual/udev. For existing installs this has zero impact. For
6 >>> stage3 this would mean that eudev is pulled in instead of
7 >>> udev.
8 >
9 >> Might I suggest a slightly different approach. I don't really
10 >> have a strong preference on the order of providers in this
11 >> virtual, though I don't really care for a direction of promoting
12 >> in-house
13
14 what does in-house tool mean? i'm a gentoo developer but i also work
15 on an upstream project (eudev) that 14 distros use.
16
17 some of the criticism given here are my concerns as well and i've
18 spoken with the various distros --- slack, parted magic, puppy. they
19 get what's going on and they still see eudev is the best way forward
20 for now. it may not be in the future, but neither will a udev
21 extracted from a compiled full systemd codebase.
22
23 >> tools over standardized ones (genkernel is another one that
24 >> comes to mind). Gentoo's distinctiveness should come from being
25 >> source-based and offering choices, not from a large collection
26 >> of internal forks (I have nothing against people working on them,
27 >> but they shouldn't be the default experience).
28 >
29 >> However, I think we're actually missing the bigger issue here.
30 >> Why is this virtual even in @system to begin with? When I set up
31 >> a chroot or some kinds of containers I don't need udev, or
32 >> sysvinit (or openssh - but let's set that one aside for now).
33
34 it needs to be in the new stage4s to make a bootable system. imo a
35 stage4 should be bootable modulo a kernel.
40 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
41 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
42 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
44 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA